Friday, March 3, 2017

Review ~ Play Dead by Anne Frasier

Title: Play Dead
Author: Anne Frasier
Copyright: 2014
Type: mystery
Pages: 366
Series: yes (Elise Sandburg)
1. Play Dead
2. Stay Dead

Reason for Reading: I had some unlimited space on my kindle and thought it was interesting anything with voodoo and mystery has my attention. Also I love zombies and thought why not.

Summary:
No one is more familiar with Savannah's dark side than homicide detective and native resident Elise Sandburg. She's been haunted for years by her own mysterious past: she was abandoned as a baby in one of the city's ancient cemeteries, and it's rumored that she is the illegitimate daughter of an infamous Savannah root doctor. The local Gullah culture of voodoo and magic is one that few outsiders can understand, least of all Elise's new partner. Now someone is terrorizing the city, creating real-life zombies by poisoning victims into a conscious paralysis that mimics death. As the chilling case unfolds, Elise is drawn back into the haunted past she's tried so hard to leave behind.

Thoughts:
It was a typical first book of a series. I enjoyed that the "main" character is female however they did hint that her male partner is going to have a major role. They did play up that the 2 of them will have a romance soon so it reminded me of Castle only instead of him being a writer he's a cop/ex-FBI. His background was way more dramatic then her's and almost needs his own book but was handled well for the most part. I'm surprised he still has a job, but he is a guy and all that. She is tough as nails and reminds me of every female cop you see on TV the only difference is her background apparently she is the daughter of a powerful witchdoctor so that will come out to play in the series I am hoping and her eyes are "unique" we kept getting told over and over and over.
The mystery itself was zombies and the powder that makes them while at first it was interesting and held my attention by the end I was like come on already I got it and it dragged too long. That being said had it shortened by about 3 chapters it would have been perfect. The writing was good, the background and setting was good I felt like I was there for the most part. I enjoyed the mystery until the end and I did figure it out so it wasn't too hard or from left field I just was almost bored by the end. I am still going to give the 2nd book a try because I have invested myself in the characters enough to want to see what is going to happen with them.

Grade: 3 out of 5 stars

Would I recommend: It was an interesting mystery but not knock your socks off. Nothing too violent or grisly and if you like voodoo and Georgia atmosphere it's up your alley.
Keep or Give: Gave back b/c it was a kindle unlimited read. I probably wouldn't keep the series. It was interesting but not a OMG have to keep re-reading series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄